Sunday, February 19, 2012

Blessed Contentment

Blessed contentment nestled safely in the arms of an active imagination. Children are truly gifts finding joy in simple things, creating stories out of everyday objects. One might see the palm of the hand as something to grasp objects, or perform everyday functions such as holding a pencil or cooking but to a child, the palm of a hand can be an airplane gliding over the jungles of his shag carpet, locating lost treasure in a faraway island.
My three eldest took to an adventure in the crocodile infested waters of the Amazon with merely the lid of a sand box and some baseball bats for oars. Their adventure began calmly at first until my tiny navigator spotted trouble ahead, is it a 100 foot anaconda? Or a lost and volatile tribe of jungle natives with sharp spears in hand?
When I look at this picture it reminds me to take heart and find solace in simple matters. We all wear heavy coats lined with our own weighted circumstances.
I have to be honest, moving here has been one trial after another. Once one growth project gets completed and plucked from my garden then planted in the memory of my Never Agains, another always seems to take root. But that is life: a series of refining circumstances. To look at the path of one's existence and become burdened by the adventure ahead is always a disastrous beginning.
Watching my children play is a great reminder that no matter what I deem as important enough to steal my joy, it really isn't. That is something I love about the foundation of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I know my purpose. I know my end. Health, finances, child rearing, marriage, faith or lack there of are all prime soil for discontentment. I will never be asked to do more than my Lord was and because of His redeeming grace, there is solace and peace for the Christian. labored works will never be enough to pay any toll. Only Christ. Only Christ is sufficient. Maybe that is why He says to come to Him "as the little children." (Matthew 19:14, Mark 9:37, Mark 10:14)

No comments:

Post a Comment