Thursday, September 30, 2010

Burning Idols

Let's get down to the point. I have idols. I have high places. Places that most of us imperfect heathen wretched sinners have and had. Places we have burned are burning or are really struggling with tearing down right now. The trick is finding them. And that is what this post is about.

Recently, I read in a blog something Evangeline Johnson wrote about Titus 2:4-5 the verse that reads what the elder women are to teach the younger, "that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed." Praises to God for allowing me to read that when I did because not even two days later I was reading Facebook stats and replying to my posts and pictures. Hours passed by within minutes. That was when my eyes gazed down on Josh. He was covered head to toe in black sharpie marker. AND HE WAS SITTING RIGHT NEXT TO ME! On the floor granted but right there by my side! His clothes were drawn on, his pillow, his arms and legs and face all covered in black marker.

Suddenly a sea of bible verses poured inside the nautilus of my ear. Proverbs 29:15 was the first, "A child left to himself brings shame to his mother." Then Deuteronomy 6:7 concerning the teachings of our Lord, "You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up." What was I teaching Josh at this moment? He has no idea what Facebook is but he sat next to me because he loves me and wanted to spend time with me. So where was my time spent? What was I loving at the moment? That was when Titus 2:4 entered the party. Evangeline brought up a good point about this verse. The word used for love in the excerpt about our children philoteknos translates "to be a friend to your children."

God is amazing. I love those "Aha" moments concerning our God. Facebook was cancelled. And for added insurance, my blessed husband double blocked it from the computer. It truly became an idol for sometime before it was torn down. Now the goal is to spend time with my kids being friends and doing something together in lue of time I would have spent on the computer.

I have bad days but the kids and I have had a blast hanging out together and doing things together. There is a collection of blog posts in my head filled with our fun adventures: paper crafting, making puppets, sewing basics and cooking healthy but creative kids snacks (My Big Girl has asked to take over this feature on here.) I haven't posted them because it is hard to find time that I can step away without deterring into a sea of hypocrisy similar to the previous idol.

If you bear with me, please do, I would love to tell you about the things the kids and I have learned together. Then maybe you can do them with your kids, or siblings, or kids you watch because honestly, it's good fun making friends with your kids.

And just as refreshing as burning idols...

No comments:

Post a Comment